Sunday 12 March 2017

Early spring

The first of the season! Small, but very tender, very juicy, very tasty. I have two varieties of rhubarb, and this is the earlier. I don't force it, but am quite happy to wait  until March for the first picking. The later variety is showing, and will be ready in a couple of weeks.
So things must be happening, and it's time to start planting. I have already planted some seeds in my hot bed, which are coming up, but an animal - rat, mole? - has burrowed underneath and the soil looks like the surface of the moon, all craters.  I have also planted some broad bean seeds at home, which have started to come up, so I'll be planting them out in a month or so. Potatoes - they have been 'chitting' for a month - have now got short green shoots and will be planted out next month.
I have started tidying up my strawberries, which have all survived the winter and look very good. The small plants that I grew from runners last year are now ready to be planted out, and I have managed to finish the strawberry cage, so the birds cannot get at them, and I can put slug pellets down.

No comments:

Post a Comment