Monday 13 May 2013

We need warmth - but it is cold and wet

 This is my 'mini-plot' for legumes. I planted out broad bean plants and pea seeds a couple of weeks ago, and have just removed the cloches, since there is no frost forecast this week. In front of them are rows of runner bean and French bean seedlings that I have just planted out, but I have covered them with the cloches until they get established. I also have some leek seedlings, which will fill the plot completely, no room for anything else!

This is the onion and root 'mini-plot'. Onion sets are sprouting, as are the parsnips, which I have just covered with a very fine mesh to - hopefully - keep the carrot fly off. Also in this plot are carrots, beetroot and spring onions. No more room here either!







In another 'mini-plot' I have cabbage and sprout seedlings, soon to be joined by some lettuce plants that I have started in a seed bed. In my last 'mini-plot' I have potatoes - which are now showing - and I will have sweetcorn, although it's too soon to plant these out yet. I have just planted the seeds in a propagator, so hopefully they will be big enough to plant out around the middle of June. I also have some courgette plants to put in later, so things ARE happening - at last! IF I can find the room somewhere, I will make successional sowings of carrot, beetroot and lettuce. Also winter cabbages and swedes will need to go somewhere.....

All this of course depends on the weather, but despite there not being frost this week, it is wet and cold - more like March or possibly April

No comments:

Post a Comment