Sunday 14 April 2013

Spring?

Things are warming up now, but it has been very wet, so it has been very difficult to do any digging - the clay has just held the water and is very claggy.
However, I have been able to do a few things.As I said, last week I planted broad beans and potatoes. This weekend I have planted onion sets, parsnip seed, lettuces (in my seed bed) spring onions and beetroot. The parsnips were planted (3 seeds in each) in holes that had been made with a crowbar (a dibber would have done) filled with old compost. When they germinate, hopefully in a month, I will let one plant grow per hole. I've also put a lot of chippings on my paths, which were very wet. There are still some paths to do though! I've also planted some runner bean and climbing french bean seeds at home, which I should be able to plant out in about 6 weeks time, if I've got round to digging the plot over by then!
There are always more things to do of course, including putting boards round a couple of my plots. This will allow me to raise the level somewhat, which should help with drainage, and soil structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment