Sunday 7 April 2013

Planting at last

I've had some broad bean plants in the greenhouse for more than a month now, waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so they could be planted out. Yesterday was the big day! It was only about 6°C but this is such an improvement on the year to date that I took the bull by the horns and planted them under a mesh cloche, which should protect them from a degree or so of frost. I also moved 24 barrows of manure onto one of my plots. This morning I dug it in (with some blood, fish and bone) then planted some potatoes. Again, they had been ready to put in for some time.The next job will be to plant some onion sets, plus parsnip seeds and beetroot seeds - better late than never! In a couple of weeks I will plant some bean and pea seeds (in pots, in the greenhouse) then some sweetcorn seeds in a warm propagator. I have cabbage seedlings coming on and some tomato seedlings which just refuse to grow as it's still too cold. With everything so late this year, it's all a bit of a mass panic! There's lots still to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment