Monday 26 June 2017

The end of the strawberries

These are the peas that I have recently started picking. They are so sweet, and there are lots of them. I shall freeze some, and we will eat the rest. Same with the broad beans, which are coming through in large quantities. However, the strawberries have just come to an end, after an amazing crop of well over 80 pounds. Many of the plants are now three years old - their peak - so I have removed several, and am rooting runners from others. Hopefully, the ones I rooted two years ago, and last year, will make up for this, and there will be a decent crop - I am not hoping for 80 lb though - next year.

I am also picking beetroot, spring onions and cabbages. Courgettes, runner beans and French beans are coming on quickly, and I will also be harvesting onions and potatoes next month, together with the next crop of lettuces

What we need now is some rain. Everywhere is very dry, and I am having to water frequently. Some is promised in the next few days, together with cooler temperatures - let's hope that it's enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment