Wednesday 7 June 2017

Strawberry time

I started picking strawberries earlier this week - 3 lb so far, and now about 2 lb coming through each day. However, it has been wet and very windy this week, and not very warm either, or they would have ripened even quicker!

The photo shows my broad beans and some cabbages that I planted out a couple of weeks ago. I am picking the broad beans finger-sized, and we are eating them 'mange tout', ie pods as well as the beans. When they get too big, I will freeze them. The cabbages have come on apace, and I expect to start picking them in about a month, although they will still be small. I have also planted out some purple sprouting broccoli - I hope they're as good as the last crop - and some ordinary broccoli, which will probably start maturing in about September. Also planted out, and  coming on, are parsnips, courgettes, beetroot, runner beans, French beans and sweetcorn, and I shall shortly be planting out more lettuce and peas, which will just leave leeks to plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment