Sunday 31 July 2016

I like this time of year

A couple of days ago, I picked courgettes, lettuce, beetroot, carrots, garlic, broad beans, French beans, runner beans, cabbage, potatoes and broccoli. This is largely because the weather has been a lot warmer and drier - everything is coming on. The downside of course is that I have had to water frequently. The leeks that I planted out recently have been soaked regularly, and the beans have needed a lot of water. But everything looks well at the moment - let's hope the warm weather continues.
Some of my sweetcorn have started flowering - a very short, early variety which I am pollinating by hand - and the butternut squash have suddenly exploded into life. These are the last couple of things for summer (apart from the onions, which are ripening) - the leeks, some of the cabbages, parsnips and white sprouting broccoli are all for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment