Sunday 7 August 2011

Wind


Our allotment site is very exposed - we are after all right on the top of the North Downs, and adjacent to a large open field - so it struck me that a bit of wind protection would be useful. I cut up a few unwanted steel poles to 135cm lengths, and drove those into the corners of a couple of my mini-plots. My niece very kindly gave me a length of 1 metre wide mesh as a birthday present, so I've strung this between the posts using galvanised wire. There was a bit of a breeze up at the plot this morning, which was quite noticeable standing up in each area, but crouching down the difference was great - practically no wind, just a gentle zephyr. Hopefully this will help the more tender crops get a good start.

1 comment:

  1. It looks very good, I'm glad to hear it cuts down the wind so noticeably. I'm sure the plants will be very grateful!

    ReplyDelete