Tuesday 28 June 2022

Sorry for the absence!

 It's been a year since I last posted, for which my apologies. 2021 was a terrible year for the allotment. The weather was cold and wet, and most things did not germinate. Most of the few that did germinate were promptly eaten by slugs, or were affected by mould, or (like the potatoes) by blight, or (like my sweetcorn) all eaten by badgers! As a result, yields of just about everything - except (for some unknown reason) runner beans - were disappointing. This year, however, things have been much better. For example, today I dug up most of my garlic, which was ready for harvesting.

The bulbs were large and look as if they will store well, after I dry them out of the rain. I started digging potatoes a few days ago, and the results were equally impressive. 
This was from one row, out of the five I planted. They are Vivaldi, a multi-purpose potato that is good for boiling, roasting, chipping and baking, and has an excellent flavour. I dug them early - the others will be next week - so although they may not be quite full size, they showed almost no slug damage or disease. 

I have also been picking mange tout peas and lettuce (top picture) plus beetroot, spring onions and broad beans, and would have been picking carrots except they were all eaten by badgers! In the lower photo, where the potatoes came from, I have planted beetroot, spring onions and lettuce for successional crops.
There will be courgettes next week, then runner beans, and sweetcorn (if I can stop the badgers eating it) and for the winter I have parsnips, leeks and kale - all looking good. 
Surprising what a bit of sunshine and warmth can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment