Wednesday 1 June 2016

This is summer?


The last few days have been very wet, very cold, and with a strong northerly wind - not like summer at all!
The picture on the left shows part of my plot, which is flooded. This is not surprising, as the whole site is on clay. Even with deep digging, there is an impermeable layer just under the surface, and even if we get no more rain (unlikely) it will take a week or more to soak in/evaporate.At least I won't have to water in the near future!


The picture on the right shows my fine-meshed,
anti-butterfly 'tent', which has been partly demolished by the wind. This will have to be repaired, but I will wait until the wind reduces. However, it is still butterfly-proof, so all my brassicas look OK.
Of course, what we could do with now is a period of warm, dry weather, to ripen the strawberries, which are coming on well. I wonder ....
Still to plant out (it's been far too cold this week) are courgettes, sweetcorn and butternut squash. Maybe next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment