Thursday 21 May 2015

Summer is icumen in (hopefully)

.... but I have not yet heard a cuckoo!

These are my strawberries, and I have now put some coarse black netting over them to keep the birds off, and so that I might use slug pellets on them. They are all in flower, but as they are first year strawberries there will only be a very small crop. No matter, next year should be good!

Most other things are coming on well. I have planted out French beans, but runner beans are still hardening off. They have been in a greenhouse for a week or so, but now they are on a tray outside. There should be no frost for at least the next week, so if the forecast is still good in a week's time I shall plant them out. Then will come sweetcorn. Many have germinated, but some are still to come. All are too small and too tender to plant out yet, but I anticipate being able to plant them out (with some intercropping lettuces) in a couple of weeks. This will leave courgettes and butternut squash to plant out. They do not like cold weather at all, and will sit and sulk (and be eaten by slugs) if I put them out too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment