Sunday 10 August 2014

Earlibird

The eighth of August. That's when I picked my first sweetcorn of the year - and they were DEE-licious. It's usually well into September before they are ready, so next year I will plant some Earlibird and some of another variety, so that we have a succession.
It's wet today, and we had a significant amount of rain a few days ago, so no watering required - excellent.
My French beans have finished - just growing a few on for seeds for next year - but runner beans are coming thick and fast. We are giving away more than we are eating. Also beetroot, lettuce and potatoes of course, and courgettes, and I finished harvesting my white onions the other day, although the red onions are still growing. I have also planted some lettuce and Swiss chard seeds (some of the plants bolted in the hot dry conditions). The chard should stand the winter, and there are plenty of leeks, Brussels sprouts, winter cabbage, parsnips and swedes coming on. And I should be pulling my row of garlic soon. They have not got as large as I hoped, but they were planted in the spring, which is very late, as they should have gone in last autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment